Dr. Sam Kovac, owner of Southern Cross Vet in Sydney joins The Afternoon Show to answer listener questions and talks about stressed pets
How to identify stress in pets:
- Panting, pacing, not able to rest, salivation, dilated pupils.
How to de-stress pets:
- Prepare for the stressful event, desensitize, and calm during the stressful episode –
- dogs and cats have pressure receptors in their neck that if you massage gently can lower levels of cortisol stress hormone and heart rate.
- Medication can also be considered to calm them as well as supplementing with legal cannabis!
Breeds of dogs and cats most prone to stress:
- Highly intelligent dogs like working dogs and those from abused backgrounds are the most prone to stress.
- Least anxious dog is the greyhound.
Listen to the full interview here:
Visit Sam Kovac at: Southern Cross Vets