We need more volunteers to join us and help keep our valuable service ready to respond when the call comes in.
Brent speaks with Mal Wardrop the Deputy Commander, this Wednesday are having an Information and Recruitment Night at the base at pelican from 6-9pm, 5 Lakeview Parade, Pelican NSW 2281 for more information call 4971 3498
Mals Contact .
Listen to the podcast here.
Some stats on why we need more volunteers.
For the first six months of this year – (January through to end of June)
– our volunteers answered 11614 radio calls from boaties.
– 247 calls required assistance from our response crews, 230 were in the Swansea Channel or inside the Lake, 17 were offshore (or out to sea)…
– 1772 of the radio calls were to co-ordinate Bridge Bookings (the opening and closing of the Swansea Bridge)
– 6816 phone calls were received by our volunteers for a wide range of enquiries such as up to date weather information and advice on obtaining a boat licence.
-193 boats were towed to safety by our crews
-19 boats required jump starts
– our volunteers assisted with 6 medical incidents