The Rocky Horror Show will open at Newcastle’s Civic Theatre in January | Image by Daniel Boud, suppled.
The new Australian leg of the Rocky Horror Show’s 50th Anniversary World Tour will premier at the Civic Theatre next year in a huge coup for Newcastle.
Jason Donovan will star as Frank N Furter in the new Aussie production set to play at the Civic from January 12 to February 4 before it heads to Melbourne and Sydney.
Donovan, who is currently performing in Grease The Musical in London’s West End, confessed he cannot wait to return to the role and wow audiences.
“Earlier this year I had the greatest pleasure to play Frank in this incredible 50th Anniversary production of the Rocky Horror Show back home in Australia and I can truly say it was one of the most satisfying and enjoyable times in my career,” he said.
“From the insanely talented cast, the hard working crew and of course the enthusiastic audiences we could not have asked for anything more”
“I am beyond thrilled we get to come back around to Melbourne and Sydney for encore seasons, and bring the show to Newcastle where I am looking forward to taking the stage for the first time and hopefully a few dips in that glorious ocean!”
The Rocky Horror Show will be the first in a new line-up of world class productions brought to Newcastle by leading British theatre producer Sir Howard Panter of Trafalgar Entertainment following his recent visit to the city.
Sir Panter said local audiences are in for the time of their lives.
“We were excited by our trip to Newcastle in May of this year and identified the city as a growth city for global events”
“We are thrilled to be able to bring the first of many new international smash hit theatre productions to the city, and what better way to start the party than with the ultimate rock ‘n roll celebration, The Rocky Horror Show.”
Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes welcomed the announcement and said she looked forward to Trafalgar launching the new national tour in Newcastle.
“Seen by more than 30 million people in over 30 countries since making its debut in London in 1973, this spectacular international touring production is a major coup secured by City of Newcastle,” Cr Nelmes said.
It follows on from the success of Come From Away, which broke ticket sale records on its three week run in Newcastle earlier this year.
“Major events are a clear economic driver for our local visitor economy with 21,500 theatregoers flocking to Civic Theatre for the Broadway smash Come From Away back in February. The Rocky Horror Show will no doubt provide another significant drawcard for our city,” Cr Nelmes said.
Civic Theatre Manager Leonie Wallace said the venue’s status had been well and truly cemented on the national touring circuit for hosting global acts.
“The success of Come From Away’s extended run demonstrated the demand for Broadway and West End productions in Newcastle, with theatregoers travelling from across the Hunter and as far as Tasmania and Queensland to sample Broadway, smashing previous box office ticket sales records.”
The Rocky Horror Show will be performed at Civic Theatre from 12 January until 4 February 2024, with tickets on sale now.
The production runs for 120 minutes, including intermission and is recommended for ages 12 and older.